Monday, August 6, 2012

Summertime

A life without love is like a year without summer ~author unknown


We are having a fun-filled Summer.  It doesn't take a whole lot to entertain this crew.  Our heart & soul belong at the beach and we just can't fight it.  Days pass quickly busying ourselves with beach visits, bike riding, fishing, and more bike riding and more fishing.  There is very little lounging. 

June brings busy days filled with fishing & swimming and always in that order.  Both boys are so well-adjusted on the boat and they know their roles now. As soon as we hop on the boat, both grab life jackets, Carson turns the motor on and Mason pushes us off the dock. As we head in, it is so sweet to watch them "help" hold on to the dock, put up life jackets, and put the boat on the trailer.  This Summer, I haved learned to launch the boat and pick it up. And, that might not sound like a big deal but it is to me and I have to say Tony was fairly impressed too!!  It makes things easier and much quicker, especially when the boat launch is a busy place.  We have this down to an art. On my first attempt to launch the boat, I was not quite even with the dock.  But, I got it right on the second attempt.  As I got out of the truck, an elderly man said "well darling, you are pretty good at that" and I just smiled and said "it is my first try" and he responded "well, I never would have known, you are a pro!"  And while I know I am not a pro, I was proud of myself for trying. 

Now for the funny part....our boys DID NOT want me having any part of launching or picking up this boat.  They were almost in tears begging Tony not to let me do it!!  They had absolutely NO confidence in me!!!  So, this is why I had to show them that it could be done.  Afterwards, they said "well, I guess moma is pretty good at it too!"  Oh ye of little faith :)

For me, this Summer has been about doing things outside of the "norm."  I wanted to do and show these 2 precious little people that we should do things or try new things.  I have tried my best to show them to do for others and not always think about themselves. This is not an easy task just simply because we naturally are selfish human beings.  We have made lists of things we wanted to do, new things we wanted to try and the boys were thrilled about it.  Nothing major, just little things like jumping from a dock or divng into deep ocean water, riding a jet ski, and going down waterslides that are a little high. This got their little minds to thinking and they have added future things they want to try like parasailing & wind surfing...oh my, hoping I can live through that.  I also realized with live with LOTS of technology right at our finger tips.  So, I purposefully left my phone in our camper.  No need to always have it(not easy, but it did a body & mind good....really good).
Other tasks including doing things for others, and not always thinking of ourselves.  Not a day goes by when I do not think of my grandmother, her age, and the fact that she will not be on this earth forever.  So, we made a point to ask what she needed, take her to get her hair done, stops by the store, and lunch at her favorite(Lighthouse Restaurant).  Again, nothing major just little things.  We have had the privilege of doing this several times this Summer and it has truly warmed my heart.  Just when I thought this would help my mom and her sister with "nanny tasks", it really has proven to be more of my blessing. A blessing full of conversations that will never be forgotten.....

In a few more weeks, we will go back to school and work.  Although, I know it is inevitable and it really must happen.  I have sweet Summer memories that will last forever.  Pics to follow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment