Thursday, July 28, 2011

the road less traveled

Willie Mae McGallager is one of the most amazing women that I know!!  She is a mother, grandmother, great-gramdmother, aunt, sister, friend, and so much more to many people.  To me, she is my Nannie.  She is 82 years old and has seen more in her lifetime than I will ever see.  I recently sat down with her and just simply talked...talked about life and this world with live in, talked about her childhood-her daddy, her marriage and raising children.  I treasure this simple conversation, but I know that what she has shared with me I will take with me throughout my lifetime.
Sitting at the kitchen table on an ordinary day, I asked my Nannie about her childhood.  She began by reminding me that her mother had died when she was three and her older sister Ruth took care of her and her siblings.  Her mother had died shortly after having a miscarriage and complications with her liver(something she could survive these days).  But, she discussed their daily lives and how her father would go to work, to a "juke joint" and then home late at night.  He also made moonshine and forced the kids to help disguise it.  She specifically remembers distracting the police so her father would not get caught. She said "you see, he wasn't really a father....I mean he was on paper and we loved him but he really wasn't a daddy." 
She preceded to tell me about one long term girlfriend, Katherine, that her father allowed to move into their house.  Katherine was only nice to my Nannie and her siblings when her father was around the house.  No one wanted to stand up to her(back then that was disrespectful).  But, my Nannie decided to choose the right opportnity to allow her daddy to walk in and catch Katherine with another man.  "She was only kissing that man, but I knew my daddy was going to throw her out!" said my Nannie.  She waited and allowed all the play out just right.  That sounds just awful, but she said she knew it would happen and she thought better sooner than later.
This was just a few examples of the stories that she shared with me.  She also lost her husband at an early age, and stated no other man would love her children and grandchildren like he did.  After our visit, I began to think of life without a mother.  The many hardships that she faced.  And instead of having a pity party or making excuses, she stood tall and made a conscious decision to make a better life for herself.  She will share of her salvation and raising her children in the church.  She will be very quick to tell you that it will be the difference in your life when you keep God in the center and make an effort to attend church regularly.  She will always be in constant prayer for her family and friends....the BEST prayor warrior that I know!  I will always be forever grateful for my Nannie and for the decisions she has made, for her attitude, and simply because she chose the road less traveled.

No comments:

Post a Comment