Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Living on Island Time

For the past few weeks, we have been on Dauphin Island-it is our Summer place.  As far back as I can remember, I have spent time during the Summer on the island.  Many wonderful memories have been made with an extended family and friends.  A few years my family even rented a duplex just so everyone could fit-it is truly one of my fondest memories!! I can remmeber playing with cousins &  friends, staying up late at night giggling and taking my turn on the floor in a sleeping bag. 
So when Tony & I got married we knew that we wanted to keep the tradition going.  First, it was only a week then it went to the month of June and now we move over in May through August.  It just works for us, our unit of four will spend every minute possible on the island.   Of course, we go between home and the island when school is in session and for appointments, errands, etc.  And, we enjoy coming home.  But, we are never home long before I hear "when are we going back to Dauphin Island?"  This week is a "home week" for us and we were here a few hours when Tony looked at me and asked the question "when do we get to go back to the island?"  I laughed and he grinned and then said "really, when??"
A few of my sweet friends will text or email me and ask if I am still alive, and that makes me feel good.  Honestly, we get across the bridge onto the island and it seems like a completely different world.  Our days are spent on the boat, beach, pool, and bicycles.  We travel alot on our bikes and the boys really enjoy it.  Mason is now without training wheels and he is thrilled.  There was no parental help with this(other than Tony taking off the training wheels).  He simply jumped on his Buzz Lightyear bike and never looked back.  Since then he has been on "bicycle restriction" a few times because he has taken off on his bike to visit the neighbors(without telling us)!!
The boys have grown and matured right before my eyes.  Recently on a snapper fishing trip, Tony looked at me across the boat and said "this so works for me, just us-our unit of four simply sharing a day of fishing."  It warmed my heart to know that we have been able to slow down our little world and just be...just be with our family to do whatever we feel like at any moment during the day.  Both boys have wanted to throw a net like their daddy to catch bait(or little minnows that are just fun).  I have now realized that my guys(all 3) can do this for hours, they are so excited over bait fish!!
Although I feel as if this Summer has past so quickly, I have taken many moments to stop and breath in the moments....each one small and large.  In only a few short weeks we will have to return to the real world and I can gurantee none of the Collier Crew will be happy about it.  But, for now we will look forward to the remaining days of Sweet Summer and continue to live on Island Time :)

Carson and his net

Proud fisherman


Fishin' with Paw Paw

Storytime with Carson :)



Mason being very determined to do it like daddy & Carson
Weighing fish at Jr Angler's Tourney
Catchin' his first snapper

No comments:

Post a Comment